Wheatland Historical Walking Tour
Wheatland and the surrounding area was once part of a 22,000 acre Mexican land grant known as Johnson’s Rancho. The Emigrant Trail crossed the Bear River on Johnson’s ranch site, which became a way station for travelers on their way to Sutter’s Fort. Camp Far West was established nearby in 1849 as a military outpost to protect wagon trains heading into California.
Ultimately carved from Johnson’s Rancho, the city of Wheatland was laid out in 1866 and a post office was established. Known for its agriculture and as a supply center to the Sierra Foothill gold mines, Wheatland was incorporated in 1874.
This site is the home of the California Territorial Quarterly, the magazine of California History. It has links to many California historical societies and California history sites.
CCHS helps historians, and others who are interested in history, to connect and share information — joining efforts to preserve records, artifacts, sites, and buildings. CCHS also helps local societies and small museums with skills in management, acquisition, preservation, and restoration techniques.